DoingYouDamage.com – Smoking Makes You Look Old and Ugly
FACE THE FACTS
Smokers in their 30s have facial wrinkles similar to those of nonsmokers in their 50s
- Cigarette smoke is an immediate and direct irritant to the skin.
- Smoking decreases the capillary blood flow to the skin, depriving it of needed oxygen and nutrients.
- Smokers have less collagen and elastin in their skin. These proteins help to keep skin tight, soft, and elastic.
- Smoking irritates the eyes and makes smokers squint more; this may lead to increased wrinkles around the corners of the eyes.
- Smokers develop more hollowed cheeks and increased wrinkles around the mouth from many years of dragging on cigarettes.